Lucerne is a perennial legume with a taproot that gives the plant access to water and nutrients deep in the soil profile. This gives the plant superior drought tolerance and preference over grasses in lower rainfall areas.
Lucerne is a multi-purpose plant that can be either grazed in situ or conserved as hay/silage to feed during times of the year when pasture quality or diet protein levels are low. Lucerne has excellent stock acceptance and produces impressive yields of high-quality feed.
- Suitable for all stock classes i.e. dairy, sheep and beef
- Suitable for ewes during lactation and mating
- Provides high quality feed through dry periods when most other species will typically be losing quality
- Lucerne produces high yields in dryland environments, especially on deeper soils
- Usually sown in pure swards and can be grazed or conserved
- Shows greater drought tolerance than most other pasture species and responds quickly to moisture after drought